Being a proud Uttarakhandi, I love the regional recipes from my very own dev bhoomi. The recipes are simple and unique. Uttarakhand is a state of hardworkers, where man go out on work and woman alone manage farms, cattles and home.
So, definitely the recipes, especially curated for lunches are easy but time consuming so that women in family can finished other work as well. I always wanted to share all regional recipes from Uttrakhand and few from other states as well. Today with Godrej Food Trends Blogging Contest I am starting my journey to introduce you to regional recipes and giving a new taste to your taste buds.
So Lets start with my Uttrakhand, bringing to you an easy recipe made of Sponge Gourd (Tori) popularly known as Tori Ka Kaapa
Tori Ka Kaapa is basically a Sponge Gourd Gravy which is relished with plain rice popularly known as *Bhaat* in my Uttarakhand.
So Sharing the recipe of my Uttrakhandi Cuisine Kaapa – Bhaat
Sponge Gaurd (Tori) – 1/2Kg(chopped)
Green Chilli – 3-4
Lemon – 1
Besan – 2tbsp
Heeng – a pinch
Jeera – 1/2 tsp
Whole Dry Red Chilli – 2
Oil – 2tbsp
Salt – To taste
Turmeric Powder – 1/4tsp
Coriander Powder – 1tbsp
Roasted Jeera/ cumin seeds Powder – 1/2tsp
(Dry roast jeera on Tawa, and grind it – its a secret of many tempting Uttrakhandi recipes)
Coriander – For Garnishing
Rice – 1Cup
1. Heat A Cast Iron Pan(Yes iron pan is important as it increaae the flavour)
2. Add oil to heated pan.
3. Add Heeng, Whole Dry Red Chilly And Jeera.
4. Add Sponge Gaurd and saute for a few minutes than add green chilly.
5. Add Salt, turmeric powder and coriander powder, mix well and let cook on low flame.
6. Mix besan and water to make a paste.
7. Once tori is perfectly cooked add besan paste to it and mix well.
8. Now add water and let it cook on low flame again for atleast 15-20minutes.
9. Add lemon juice, mix well and garnish with coriander leaves.
Bhaat/ Plain Rice
1. Rinse Rice Properly.
2. To 1 Cup Rice, Add 2&1/2 Cup of water and pressure cook for 2 whistles.
Kaapa – Bhaat is a perfect combo for lunch. You can enjoy Kaapa with roti as well.