It is quite natural for new mommy’s to get eager to get back to shape soon after the child birth, but it is also important to give the body enough time to recover from labour and delivery. Starting a diet or physical training immediately after delivery may delay your recovery process and make you feel more tired – as you need all the energy you can muster to adjust to life with your new-born.
One major aspect about post pregnancy weight loss is that you have to be realistic about it. There are possibilities that you may not get back to your pre-pregnancy weight or shape, as for many women pregnancy brings in many changes that are permanent in nature like softer belly, slightly wider hips, and larger waistlines.
So how to get rid of postpartum weight loss?
In order to get rid of the weight gained during pregnancy, one has to adopt a healthy and suitable way to deal with it. Diet plays an all important role in any post pregnancy program. It is never suggested to go in for a crash diet, any form of starvation or extreme diet measures while breastfeeding. The answer is to follow a sensible balanced diet which supplies the body with all vital nutrients required post-baby delivery.
We all understand that it is important to get back to shape, but it is also important to understand that it is always well done when done with patience and healthily. Here are a list of some foods that will give you the right way to lose weight post pregnancy:
- Eat more Green Leafy Vegetables: no diet is complete without these. They are rich resource of iron, folic acid, vitamin A, vitamin C, calcium as well as fibre and plant antioxidants along with being free of calories. They have also thylakoids, that promotes weight loss by sending the feeling of satiety and stopping you from eating more. E.g.: Spinach, Lettuce, and Kale.
- Take Whole Grain Cereals: whole grains are known to deliver. They are enriches with the goodness of fiber and vitamin B complex, that help in preventing fat storage. Are also low in fat and boosts body’s metabolism and prevents calorie retention. E.g.: Oatmeal, Multi-grain bread and Whole wheat pasta.
- The need of Fruits, Nuts and Seeds: replace all your snacks with fresh fruits, nuts and seeds. Fruits are enriched with essential vitamins, minerals and fibers. They prevent unwanted cravings, by keeping you full. The pectin and fiber found in fruits are natural fat burners and boosts metabolism. Nuts and seeds on the other hand are high in calories but If taken in right proportion can aid healthy weight loss. They are rich in fiber and protein which keeps you full for a long time and keeps you away from unwanted food prangs. E.g.: Berries, Apples, Walnuts and Almonds.
- Get more of Proteins: it is very important to include some good protein sources in your diet post pregnancy. They aid in proper milk secretion and aids weight loss. Are also responsible for build-up of the tissues and muscles. E.g.: Lean meats, Poultry, Eggs and Milk.
- Get more of milk and milk products: you should never avoid them post pregnancy. Choose the low-fat versions of milk products like low fat milk, yogurt and buttermilk. These are good sources of calcium, proteins and gut bacteria. The calcium in these milk products enhances breaking down of fat cells in the body that helps in weight loss. E.g.: Low-fat milk, Cheese, Yogurt and Buttermilk.
Eating healthy is of utmost importance for a new mother. A good balance of proteins, fats and carbohydrates is a must in their diet. Should avoid excessive intake of salty, spicy and deep fried foods as it is advisable that they avoid cake, sweets and ice creams altogether as they are in a state of semi diabetes because the placental hormones are anti -insulin.
In addition, women should have a lot of fruits, vegetables and nuts in their diets. Extra milk and curd should be had to increase the intake of calcium.
The article is authored by Dietitian Sheela Seharawat. She is a successful entrepreneur and founder & chief mentor of Diet Clinic Health Care Pvt Ltd http://www.dietclinic.co.